Friday, December 24, 2010

Why New GE LED Nightlight Bulbs Are A Good Omen

I was surprised to notice a new offering at my local Target last week - a 2-pack of LED nightlight bulbs from GE.

I was surprised for several reasons - I hadn't seen LEDs at this Target before, I hadn't seen LED nightlight bulbs at any local store before, and these bulbs were marked as 2700K color temperature.

For under $6 I had to try them out - and my results were interesting!

A few months back I'd commented briefly in my lighting series that I'd purchased a .85 watt LED nightlight off Amazon. While generally happy with that purchase and the 16 month payback it provided, that single bulb cost $4.95.

This GE bulb immediately looked nicer - more like a traditional bulb.  And when turned on, the color temperature really was a nice warm 2700K! 

Further, two bulbs cost $6 - a much better price point than $4.95.  And the .5 watt usage was better too - now I have a payback closer to 13-14 months.

Seeing this bulb in action gives me the most hope yet for LEDs immediate future.  This tiny bulb has excellent color temperature, a nice clear glass-like bulb, and only three LEDs using only .5 watts.  If GE can scale this slightly larger, an affordable 40 watt equivalent 2700K bulb should be on our doorstep.

Unfortunately, no sellers have this item on Amazon yet (though there is a too-expensive 1 watt version).  However, be on the lookout for GE part number 78953 at your local Target or elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment