Monday, March 21, 2011

You Don't Have to Be Perfect - Just Be Better

I've been around long enough to know that everyone has different personality traits.  I also know that everyone learns a bit differently and reacts to their environment differently. 

But at the same time, I've noticed that if I'm thinking something, questioning something, or encountering a specific problem, there are always others out there that are in the same boat.

That's why I'm writing today - I have a personality flaw that sometimes gets in the way of completing projects, or more accurately, even starting them in the first place - but I think I can fix this flaw!  And yes - this applies to saving energy and reducing power consumption!


I am a perfectionist.  I want to do things right, be thorough, and perhaps most importantly, be complete.  If I can't do all of that, I sometimes don't do anything at all.

Now, how does this apply to cutting your utility bills?

Well, perhaps you have a time intensive project to perform - like installing outlet insulators, sealing your windows, or sealing the rest of your house.  It is very easy to sit back and wait until you have the time to do it all and do it right.

But for most of us, it is hard to string together four or six hours to perform a project like that.  It is human nature to what to see hings through to completion, and it can weigh on us when we can't complete a project. 

Prioritize

However, I've finally learned to play with my brain - tell myself that it is OK to leave something incomplete to be finished next weekend, especially if it is a project that can be easily divided.

For example, try installing outlet insulators in just the bedrooms this week, and the rest of the house next week.  Or prioritize the coldest or hottest rooms first. 

Perhaps all of your doors are leaky but you only can squeeze 30 minutes into your schedule - just do one! 

One major hang-up of mine for years was caulking.  I wasn't particularly good at it, and it probably took be three times as long as some people.  For some reason I let that stop me from sealing some known air infiltration areas.

In talking to friends I've found caulking to be a major issue for many people - its messy, time consuming, and the pros do it so much better.  This is no reason not to start!  Caulk cleans up nicely when still moist, and you can always touch it up later - scrape some off or touch up adjacent paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment